Well, I had my second fibroid removal of this long TTC journey yesterday.
This one happened so quickly. I met with the surgeon last Monday. He did an u/s in the office and said that it would probably be easier to remove hysteroscopically due to its location. This means a faster post-op recovery, but a delay in cycling again since the endometrium would take a while to heal. Fine with me--we weren't planning on stims until March anyway, and any transfer would be April-ish since we will do testing on all embies this time.
The hardest part of this surgery was that it wasn't until 1pm. This hospital wasn't as lenient as the last one, so I could have nothing to eat or drink after midnight. I've never been so starving and thirsty! Of course, when they tell you that you can't do something, that's all you can think to do. I had to be at the hospital at 10am, so I couldn't even sleep most of my NPO morning away. We registered and then the pre-op nurse came to get us in the lobby. She took us to their GYN surgery area, which is their old OB unit that they closed a couple years ago. It was nice to be away from the busy main OR and prep area and the staff seemed to like it that way too.
Another nurse came in to try my IV. She seemed to be unsure of where to start it, since the anesthesiologists usually like a hand IV but mine aren't very good. She tried anyway and blew the vein--no big deal, I figured that would happen. She ended up starting it in my antecubital (elbow) area anyway since that's where my better veins are. Then she really got it--I was bleeding everywhere when she finally got it. They drew my blood for a beta and a CBC--my beta was negative (shocking!) and my blood count was OK.
So, then we just waited around for the OR to be ready. I fell asleep for a few minutes from the dramamine they gave me. Poor DH was starving, so I sent him to the cafeteria around 1 when they told me it would be closer to 1:30 start time. He came back after scarfing down some cold pasta just as the OR nurse came in. They wheeled me away, got me into position, and then I was out. Next thing I knew, I was waking up in recovery with minimal pain. My head hurt worse from the lack of caffeine all day than my uterus did. I hung out there for about 90 minutes while I woke up a bit more, then they went to get DH. We were on the road by 5pm--a long day for sure, but I'm glad it's over.
We stopped for dinner on the way home since I was starving and a little queasy from the pain med they insisted on giving to me. I felt fine, so we went to pick up my car at the shop (shhhhh...don't tell the cops I was driving right after surgery) and stopped at the store to get some cookie mixings. I made a batch of cookies when I got home, too. I did take one pain pill and a nausea pill before bed, more as a precaution than anything. I did have a twinge or two of pain when I rolled onto my side, but it still wasn't horrible.
Today, I'm up and back to baking. We are heading to Texas tonight to see my in-laws for the holiday. I have to be back on Saturday for work, so at least it will be a quick trip (less time with newborn and his whining mommy!).
Merry Christmas to all! And to all a good night!
Consumption 20
1 day ago



1 comment:
Doesn't sound like a fun day, but I'm glad you felt fine afterwards. Have a great Christmas, and I hope the sis-in-law isn't too intolerable!
Post a Comment