Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Progress check #3

So, follicle check and blood work #3 were scheduled for this morning. I had to fast for the blood tests because of my slightly elevated glucose from the non-fasting blood drawn a couple weeks ago. I am one of those people who wakes up hungry, so I really despise fasting blood work. But, they were insistent that I get it re-checked, so I tried to quiet my growling tummy with lots of water as I drove down for the tests.

Blood was drawn no problem, so it was time to head in for ultrasound. My favorite u/s tech was there, so we chatted all throughout the scan. She measured a nice triple-striped lining at 11mm and then moved on to follicle counting. She measured 9 on each side, but even I could see that there were smaller ones she didn't bother to measure. I tried to memorize all the numbers on the screen, but I failed. She gave me a big hug and wished me luck and then had me sit down with the NP.

I met with the NP and she said that I will most likely be triggering tonight for ER on Friday morning. Of course, this all depends on the blood work, but she doesn't think there is any way they are going to have me stim for another day and retrieve on Saturday. I guess the biggest follie was 21mm (a little overripe?) and that I had 11 follicles that measured over 14mm. She said there were even a couple more in the 12-14mm range that might mature by Friday.

It was a little bittersweet to meet with the NP today. It was her last day in this office, and she is leaving the practice as of Friday. She has been so nice to us and has treated me like an equal in this process. I really hope to stay in touch with her and wish her the best of luck in wherever she is going next. She is encouraging me to look into getting my NP and maybe even go into this field. It got me thinking about going back to school and possibly doing just that. I mean, who better to be an IF nurse than someone who has experienced it personally, bringing that experience and my nursing knowledge together to help future IF patients?

But first, I'm hoping to be too busy with a baby (or two!) to even think about school!

ETA: We are definitely a go for Friday morning ER. My E2 level was 1338 so I will be triggering tonight. DH is booked on a flight home for tomorrow night. I can't believe it's actually happening!

8 comments:

Haidee said...

It sounds like things are looking great! YAY! I hope you do get to trigger tonight for Saturday collection! GOOD LUCK!

PS: I tagged you to answer some q's on my blog if you want something to take your mind off things :-)

Angie said...

Yay for progress! I wish you the best of luck. I'll have everything I crossed for you that I possibly can tomorrow (though I can't hold my eyes that way for long...ha).

I agree with you...IFers would have to make the perfect IVF nurses and/or techs. Hopefully, though, you will be too busy to do that for a while!

Arwhen said...

Good luck with the ER tomorrow! It sounds like everything is perfect though! :-)

Michelle said...

Sounds wonderful! Good luck with the trigger and ER!

Gurlee said...

excellent. So excited for you, as you are very, very close. Sending you good thoughts!

First and Only said...

Good luck tomorrow, sounds like things have gone well so far - I'll be following you and sending you good wishes!

Emmy said...

Good luck in your retrieval today! I'm thinking of you and hope that they get lots of mature eggs! Lots of good thoughts for many perfect, fertilized eggs!

Ceejay said...

Woohoo! I guess I'm hoping for twins for you, which seems quite possible with that many eggs to choose from.