Monday, March 28, 2011

Thank you!

Thank you all so much for the support last week. It was one of the darkest days I've had in this journey and your messages of love and support helped me feel a little less alone. Every time I would check the computer, there seemed to be more comments to shed a little light on my day.

DH was able to catch an earlier flight home on Friday (he had offered to cancel the trip altogether and I told him to go). It was so healing to be able to fall into his arms and start to mourn this loss together. I called my boss and explained the situation and told her that I wasn't coming to work for the weekend. DH and I did a little retail therapy, but otherwise just relaxed together for the weekend.

The only decision that we have come to is not to decide anything for a while. We realized that we have been in the throes of this battle for 2.5 years and it's time to step away from it for a bit. When we've taken breaks in the past, it was always with the prospect of future treatments looming. Since there are no more treatments to do, that won't be an issue this time. We decided that we need to focus on our marriage and ourselves (and not just the broken reproductive parts of ourselves) before we can make a decision as to what's next.

When we started this journey, we had said that we wanted to be parents to expand our love and not because we needed to have a child to feel whole. During the infertility process, it became much more of a "need" than a "want" and I, at least, got caught up in it. It almost became competitive for me--I refused to fail this challenge, so I kept trying whatever was suggested to win. Now doesn't that sound like a healthy atmosphere to create a child? I hope that by focusing our attention on other things, we will have the clarity we need to decide if moving forward with adoption or egg donation is the right step for us.

As the first part of taking this break, I'm heading to Phoenix today to visit with my family while they are there for spring break. My dad and stepmom have been there for over a week, scouting out things to do and soaking up the sun. My sister, brother-in-law, and their four boys (ages 6-12, so no babies to pine for) arrived over the weekend. I haven't seen them since Thanksgiving, so it will be good to visit. We are going to take in a couple spring training games (Go Cubbies!) and just relax together. The only concern I have about this trip lies with my youngest nephew. The last few times I've seen him, he has said to me, "Auntie Cortney, you have two babies in your belly." I think he's just saying it cuz I'm fat, and in the past I have just been able to tell him no and laugh it off. Obviously that will be a bit tough to do right now. I've thought about saying something to my sis, but I think that her saying something to him about it will actually make him more likely to say it--he's just that kind of little boy. I was tempted to threaten my sis with the "if he says it, I'll tell him that mommy has to explain sex and infertility to him." Anybody have any other brilliant ideas?

7 comments:

justadrienne said...

Cortney, I'm glad your DH was able to come home early to be with you. I'm so impressed by your strength and poise through all of this--I will be hoping for the best for your family. (((HUGS)))

Krista said...

Cortney- I'm glad to hear that you are your husband had a nice weekend despite the bad news you received before it. I think it's always a good thing to take a breather and re-assess before you move on after such a devasting cycle. I think you guys will know what your next step is when the time is right. I agree that it's easy to make this into a competition that you must win at any cost. I've found myself having to step back and really look into my heart to see why I was doing all of this. I almost have to double-check myself to make sure it is for the right reason. After an almost year long break, I realized that I really did want the baby, not that I just wanted to win.
I hope you have a fabulous time down in Arizona....my husband was down there last week and said the weather is great right now!

hopeisafourletterword said...

Have a fabulous time in Arizona, enjoy your family, soak up the sun, get some spa treatments...you deserve it!

Jenni said...

No Ideas - My nephew is a lot like that too. Anyway, I say go out, have an awesome visit with family, pamper yourself, and just be you.

Ceejay said...

The idea of an indefinite break does sounds like a sound one, though I know it's got to be really hard. I hope the Phoenix trip is just what the doctor ordered for your state of mind. As for the nephew, unfortunately, it seems like there is often little we can do to keep kids' mouths shut--and I say this as someone who works with kids as my job. Often, the best thing to do is find the cute side of what they said and laugh it off (unless it's actually inappropriate, of course, in which case a chat with mom is definitely in order).

Gurlee said...

Again, I am so sorry. I think a break and not making any decisions is great. And a trip, perfect timing. I hope you find the ability to soak up the sun and enjoy how great your life already is!

Michelle said...

Cortney,
I am so sorry I missed this. I was taking a bloggy break.
Sending you so much love.
Taking a step back before making any further decisions sounds like a great idea.
I'm just devastated for you.. infertility sucks.
**huge hugs**