Here's the important part: As of Sunday morning, all 8 embryos were still growing well. In fact, the embryologist was grading all of them as "A" that morning. Since we have created such splendid embies, we are doing a 5-day transfer tomorrow morning at 11. It's going to be a very long day, with most of it spent in the car. See, they recommend acupuncture both before and after transfer. So I will be driving 20 miles north to acupuncture before 8am (love my acupuncturist--she's coming in early to see me), then about 100 miles south of there to the main RE office for transfer, then back north to acupuncture before finally heading home for bedrest. I guess it's good that I will be out getting some sunshine and fresh air since I will have a few long days inside ahead of me after that. The office suggests 3-5 days of modified bedrest so I'm trying to get everything done today to get ready for it.
I'm finding that my old frenemy Hope is creeping her way back in. I'm starting to let myself believe that this might actually be successful. I mean, we have to have some hope--why bother going forward if we don't have any hope of it working?

We hope that this struggle doesn't put so much strain on our relationship and emotions that we end up irrevocably broken. We hope to someday move past the bitterness and jealousy at every friend's pregnancy announcement. We hope to not always stare at young families and wish for what could have been, what should have been ours. We hope with all of our might to become parents at some point at the end of this. We hope we will finally see two lines, hear a heartbeat, feel movement, hold a precious healthy baby. We hope to raise our children in a home full of love and appreciation for all we had to endure to get to that point.
Hope can be such a double-edged sword in the midst of this IF struggle though. Hope allows us to keep going, but it also brings us to such depths of despair when the next cycle or treatment doesn't work. Hope tricks our minds into thinking "when" instead of "if". Hope breaks our hearts and spirits when we come crashing back to the reality of this very long journey each month.
Like I said, though, I've started to find myself believing that this might actually happen--that I might be one of the lucky ones who get pregnant on their first IVF cycle. I was sitting in the waiting room before my acupuncture appointment yesterday and there was a "Fit Pregnancy" magazine on the top of the pile on the table. In the past, I've been known to cover it up with something else to avoid having to stare at the beaming preggo on the cover. But this time, I left it alone. I actually found myself scanning the titles on the cover. I didn't dare pick it up for fear of an alarm going off somewhere--"IFer reading pregnancy magazine, alert the universe to crap all over her for being so bold." But I admit I did look at it and thought "just maybe"--hope that wasn't enough to jinx me!



15 comments:
Good luck, good luck, good luck!!!!!!!
Loads of luck and positive thoughts Cortney!!
Holy crap girl, that is good freakin news! My clinic puts your success rates for a 5 day transfer at 75-80%. You got this.
So excited for you.
Modified bed rest for 3-5 days, huh? Haven't heard that one.
Thinking of you!!!
Oh, I wish you the absolute best! Sounds like you've got some stellar envies on your hands!
Good luck! Those sound like great embryos. I think the hope is positive and I wish I had more of it.
I hope you are one of the lucky ones! Sounds like you had a great bundle of eggs collected and 8 grad A embies is just stunning! Go you! Hope the transfer goes well today :-) I never knew they recommend modified bedrest afterwards! No one ever told me that, I was straight back to work a day later! Hmm . . .
Good luck Cortney!!!!
While hope can bring pain, I think it also reflects the possibility of new joys, and who would want to shut that out completely?
;-)
I have everything crossed for you!
Good luck tomorrow! That's great that your embryos are doing so well. I really hope that this one is it for you. I think you should have a little hope- it's the best chance you've ever had at getting pg!! Get lots of rest and relax after the transfer.
Good luck tomorrow!
What great embies! Hang on to the hope.
Good Luck Cortney! I will be thinking of you!
LS
Good luck! Your comments about hope really hit home with me. Well said :)
Amazing embies. Wishing you so much luck!
You definitely have good reason to hope with such fantastic little embryos! I'm very hopeful for you!
By the way, I'm just a little jealous of your bedrest. I could use about 3 days of that myself. But I know it can be a curse, so I hope you enjoy it and feel more rested afterwards!
Oh, good luck Cortney! That sounds fantastic. You WILL be one of those lucky ones! I love that you feel hopeful - you should!
Post a Comment