Friday, April 29, 2011

Not just a fun party game

(Warning--verbal diarrhea ahead--guess that's what happens when it's been almost a month)

Limbo.

Not a fun place to be. I've been feeling really stuck lately--stuck between so many different things. DH and I are still in that phase of deciding not to decide anything, to allow ourselves to grieve the loss of a normal family-building journey, the loss of my biological connection to any future children. I have days when I'm very depressed about it, and I stay in my jammies and eat raw chocolate chip cookie dough until I'm sick (and then eat a little more--let's be honest, it's yummy!). If he's out of town on those days, it gets particularly rough (especially if I finish all the cookie dough--who's going to get me more?). I spent a good portion of the past week in this state of unkemptness--luckily I had vet appointments for my dog, or else I wouldn't have even showered most days.

Then I have some days when I'm totally fine. I get showered, dressed, and out the door. I have motivation to do things, and I think that maybe I'm getting over the initial phase of my grief. Maybe I will come out on the other side of this devastation without losing my mind. Maybe I'll even be my happy, fun self again someday. Maybe a life without kids will be ok--freedom, sleeping in, vacations, dogs.

Then, the next day, I'm back to my old friend Nestle Toll House.

I also feel like I'm in a state of limbo with the ALI community. I've struggled to keep up with other IF blogs, especially those going through treatments as I don't think I have anything positive to add. I will be beyond happy for all my IF sisters who manage to cross over into mommyhood, but I'm just not woman enough to not be a bit jealous. I'm bitter, frustrated, angry, and downright sad that I'm not going to be an IVF success story and it hurts a bit to see those who went through IVF when I did my first cycle who are sporting baby bumps and prepping nurseries. Obviously, I don't fit in there.

I don't feel like I fit in with those in the ALI community who have chosen child-free living, either. I'm not quite ready to make that declaration yet, not quite ready to give up that dream of a "just relax" miracle (of course that would depend on DH being in the same state as I am). I know I could learn a lot from those women who have reached the end of their treatment journey and have moved on. But, somehow, reading those blogs feels like admitting that we might be at that point, so final.

I started therapy again this week, this time with someone I found on the Resolve website. Her primary therapy focus is infertility, grief, loss, etc., so I know she has experience with crazy women like me. I just hope she can help me find my way out of this limbo.

6 comments:

Krista said...

Hi Cortney- I've been thinking of you and wondering how you were doing. I appreciate your honesty here and I'm glad you posted today. I don't think you and your husband need to make any decisions anytime soon....I think you'll just know when you are ready to move forward with another plan. For now, just take care of yourself and do the things you love most.

Nink said...

You are entitled to everything you are feeling. I'm glad to see you are going to see a therapist through Resolve. I was almost getting tot that point myself. I know you will likely not read or comment on my blog (I'm a FET success story), but my support is still there for you. I know the jealousy, anger and sadness...the confusion of "Why me?" I hope that you and your husband find the answer to the question soon, and can move forward confidently in whatever you two decide to do. Hugs!!!

Kathleen said...

thinking of you and hoping that you will find some clarity and peace in your path. good to 'see' you again on your blog. i still have a dream of the 'just relax' baby and it's been over 4 years. glad you are starting therapy. that helps. i still haven't taken myself to see someone, but know it would be a good thing for me. hugs. (Tippy)

Gurlee said...

I agree with the others, no need to make a final decision, take time and be good to yourself. I get the undeniable feelings that come up when other IF sisters have success, it's normal. But I am still here to support you no matter what path you choose.

Missy said...

Hi Cortney, I know this is a hard time, but just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you.

Michele said...

I was wondering where you were all this time. I'm glad to hear that you will have someone to talk to about everything. Even though we are not in the same place, I look forward to continue following you and seeing where life takes you.